Foundation / Corporation
Grants of up to $1,000 to Alabama nonprofits, schools, and public agencies in areas that the funding source serves for projects that promote understanding of birds, their habitats, and environmental stewardship. For certain types of requests, applicants must contact program staff for approval prior to applying. The seven-county service area is Jefferson, Shelby, Bibb, Blount, Chilton, St. Clair, and Walker counties as well as the Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Auburn-Opelika, Anniston, and Dothan areas.
Education MiniGrants prioritize four kinds of bird-focused educational projects:
- Physical improvements within school or community habitat sites
- Select field trips to visit significant public bird areas
- Purchases of classroom birding equipment
- Innovative, student-led projects with citizen-science or habitat-monitoring components
For more information about these project areas, see: http://1vdw947rr12skz0625skaj15-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/MiniGrant_AdviceForApplicants.pdf#page=2.
The most competitive applications will:
- Include a strong focus on Alabama birds and their conservation
- Maximize the number of students who benefit from the project
- Target a diverse student audience
- Outline a detailed, carefully considered budget
- Explain how this project can serve as a stepping stone for future bird-based learning
- Explain how the project fits within a school or organization's educational plan
- Include a plan for evaluating student outcomes
- Be innovative, creative, and "outside the box"
GrantWatch ID#: 165029
Up to $1,000
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional questions can also be emailed to this address with the subject line: “MiniGrant question.”
Ansel Payne, PhD, Executive Director / Outreach Director
For more information on the Discovery Field Trip program, email:
3720 Fourth Avenue South, Second Floor
Birmingham, AL 35222
Phone: 205-719-3678 ext. 2.
USA: Alabama: Jefferson, Shelby, Bibb, Blount, Chilton, St. Clair, and Walker counties as well as the Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Auburn-Opelika, Anniston, and Dothan areas.